Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Welcome to my Blog!

Flipping, mastery, online assessments and me!

Hello and welcome to my blog!  I am Lisa Backus and I teach Chemistry and Honors Chemistry at Deerfield High School. This blog is part of a class I am taking dealing with online assessments.  I became interested in the topic when I started flipping my classroom.  Flipping is where you take any predominantly 1 sided instruction (like lecture or reading) that used to be done in the classroom and turn them into homework assignments, sometimes through the use of videos.  The old homework part is now done in the classroom and can be transformed from worksheets to interactive activities.  The idea is that class time is for student involvement not passively sitting to a lecture (although I didn't lecture often before either). I made a video for my parents to explain the concept of flipped mastery and I attached it for those who are interested.  I also added a mastery component.  This is where students must successfully finish targets before taking an assessment.  This is what drove my interest in online assessments. Students are finishing targets at different times.  Assessments need to be flexible, given at different times, evaluated quickly and if predominantly 1 sided, able to be done at home.  Online assessments are the perfect match for the classroom.  I hope to learn a lot.  You are welcome to come along on my journey!

3 comments:

  1. I'm overcome with a feeling of awe when I read your blog. You are one amazing teacher! I never knew chemistry could be taught in such an interactive and enlightening way. Your students are very lucky to have you as a teacher as I am to have you as an online classmate ,I've sooo much to learn from you. Thank you Lisa and please share with us more of your innovative instructional methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    Very impressive blog; it is easy to navigate and very professional in appearance, accessibility, and layout.
    Thanks,
    Bob Rohrer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog. Useful Links. Why have you chosen a New Zealand url? You got connections to NZ?

    ReplyDelete