Sunday, October 19, 2014

Bloom's Taxonomy and Rubrics - Week 5 Reflections

Bloom's Taxonomy


Bloom's Taxonomy is a familiar topic to me, but sadly not one that I use enough.  We have targets (objectives written to the student.  "I can describe.... " Instead of  "The student will describe..." ) that we put together as a department for each of our courses.  We have talked about including higher order thinking but we have never sat down to analyze our targets to see where they all fit.  I was surprised to see how many were in the lower level thinking skills. I would like to (when time permits!) re-examine each unit's targets and add some higher level ones if lacking.  I would also then add higher level activities and assessments to measure them. There are a lot of resources online.  I found these diagrams very helpful.

Note:  Top diagram from nlst6dh at this link and bottom diagram from Doug Belshaw at this link.

Rubrics

Rubrics are great for teachers and students.  As a teacher, it not only makes grading easier, it also helps process what you actually want out of the assignment.  Deciding the categories are criteria before the assignment is given is clarifying for both teachers and students.  I find the rubistar online rubric generator an excellent resource.  I don't know if I would be anxious to use rubrics without such help.  I have attached my rubric for a periodic table activity that I made with rubistar.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment