Sunday, October 5, 2014

The E-storm is brewing! Reflection on Week 3

At the beginning of the week I was unsure of what Dr. Bonk meant in his article on the Perfect E-Storm describing the effects of emerging technology, enormous learner demand, enhanced pedagogy and erased budgets until I felt the storm myself . This week as a teacher, my lesson using Chromebooks failed due to the students not being allowed (security prevention) to add an extension called Screencastify to their Chromebooks to create videos of their presentations - then as a student, I felt a little overwhelmed with the numerous technologies that I needed to learn or update (test generators, concept maps, Weebly web page, and e-portfolio).  Fortunately, the storm has subsided some in time for me to update my Blog!  Despite the Bonk article being old in technology years (2004), he did point to 30 emerging technologies that were for the most part still represent current technology.  We looked at a few of them this week - Online quizzes and exams, peer-to-peer collaboration, videos, and reflection.  I personally reviewed an online quiz program called Testmoz. It was very quick and easy to use and produced a very useful and visual report that could also be downloaded to excel.  It's major drawback is that you cannot add images or videos with your questions, but if you don't need them, I highly recommend the program. Here is a link to my more complete review.

Additionally, we learned about concept mapping and its use for designing a unit.  The map included objectives, activities and assessments.  When all put together, a teacher can better see the overview, connections, and variety of instruction/assessment included in their unit.  I started one for my periodic table unit, which I am teaching next! I used a program called creately.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment